VALDYN can model both timing (toothed) belts and auxiliary drive belts. Timing belts with non-circular pulleys can be modelled, as can “wet” belts using guides. Generation of belt models is fast and simple with minimal data input and automated wrapping of the belt around the pulleys and automatic positioning of the tensioner to achieve a required initial belt tension. Pulley and belt tooth shapes can be built from lines, arcs and involutes or defined by B-splines which can be fitted to measured data.
The behaviour of the belt can be viewed as an animation both in the time domain and as mode shapes in the frequency domain. Comprehensive plotted output of belt/pulley forces, belt internal forces and span flap is available. The time variation of forces on individual pulleys and belt teeth, or at given points in the belt run, and spatial variation of forces around the belt run can be plotted.
- Simple model generation
- Class-leading simulation speed
- Full capability for modelling tensioner systems
- Automated tensioner initial positioning
- Ability to model non-circular pulleys
- Ability to model wet belt guides
- Interaction of belt with camshaft and crankshaft
- Span flap and system modes by perturbation at any time step
- Automatic model simplification for linear frequency domain analysis
- Results animation
- Comprehensive plotted output