Fuel Cell Powered Terminal Tractors
Kalmar offers a wide range of cargo handling solutions and services to ports, terminals, distribution centres and to heavy industry. The company is an industry forerunner in terminal automation and in energy efficient container handling with one in four container movements around the globe being handled by Kalmar solutions. Through its extensive product portfolio, global service network and ability to enable a seamless integration of different terminal processes
Fuel cell technologies are emerging as a viable alternative to batteries for zero-emission vehicle solutions.
The Advanced Clean Truck requirement, adopted by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in 2020, requires truck manufacturers to shift away from fossil fuels to zeroemission technology.
Beginning in 2024, manufacturers must increase their zero-emission truck sales to between 30 and 50 percent by 2030 and between 40 and 75 percent by 2035.
Ricardo was challenged to support Kalmar, in partnership with Toyota Tsusho America with the design, integration and assembly of fuel cells into the Kalmar Ottowa platform.
The project aims to offer Kalmar customers extended operational uptime and reduce the need for new investment in electrical grid infrastructure.
Ricardo has used the following approach to support the project:
- Utilising extensive experience and design expertise in fuel cell systems and integration.
- Integration of a commercially available fuel cell system to deliver cleaner and more efficient propulsion.
- Support to implement a modular fuel cell platform that will help customers meet increasingly strict emissions targets.
- Complete project advice and support, from concept through to the creation of demonstrator vehicles.
- Supporting Ricardo’s vision to create a safe and sustainable world.
- It enables Ricardo to explore future opportunities with clients in the application of hydrogen fuel cell technology.
- This project represented an opportunity to partner with an industry forerunner in terminal automation and energy efficient container handling to develop a commercially viable solution.
- It is a critical project examining the successful integration and exploitation of hydrogen fuel cell power systems in off highway vehicles.
- The client gains access to Ricardo expertise in hydrogen fuel cell power systems and integration.
- This project helped Ricardo to build on its strength in hydrogen fuel cell design, development, and integration in off highway vehicles.