Carbon capture, utilisation and storage
Over the past decade, we have supported both the public and private sectors on a wide range of CCUS topics. Our comprehensive understanding of the power generation, CO₂ capture and industrial utilisation technologies as well as knowledge of the policy and regulatory landscape worldwide enables us to support our clients on many fronts.
Our key capabilities in carbon capture, utilisation and storage
Ricardo is leading a consortium comprising Bluebox Energy and Woodtek Engineering. The consortium is designing, installing and operating a combined heat and power demonstrator plant with a carbon negative footprint to showcase climate repairing technology, and demonstrate the effectiveness of community scale negative emission technology plus clean energy using sustainably-sourced forestry waste.
Ricardo has leading expertise and knowledge on many aspects related to carbon, capture, utilisation and storage (CCUS) including technology evaluation and assessment, due diligence, techno-economic analysis, life cycle and environmental impact assessment, market analysis and supply chain evaluation.
- Assessment of new innovative CO2 capture technologies
- Concept development, feasibility studies and FEED studies
- Whole system analysis and comparison of technologies covering gas, coal and biomass fuels in a wide range of sectors including power generation, chemicals, gas processing, refineries, iron and steel and cement
- Life cycle emission analysis of energy systems with CCUS
- Evaluation of policy mechanisms and review of worldwide regulatory regimes for supporting CCUS
- Development of innovative concepts for monitoring CCUS networks
- Economic impact assessment of CCUS projects and assessment of value added to the UK from clean abatement technologies with CCUS
- Assessment and due diligence of CO2 removal technologies in the anaerobic digestion (AD) sector for biogas upgrading
- Evaluation of the CCS Directive on geological storage of CO2
This service is offered within the following sectors.
Discover our case studies
Ricardo supports Nc'nean with exploring negative emissions and CO2 removalRead case study
Ricardo to use innovative carbon capture for greenhouse gas removalRead press release
Climate repair technology: what is it and how does it work?Read insight
Carbon capture, utilisation and storage Resources
Innovative carbon capture technology: Q&A with Josh DalbyDownload
How Ricardo's carbon capture policy strategy and technology innovations can support net zero goalsDownload
Carbon capture a solution to reducing harmful emissions and securing carbon dioxide supplies?Download
Three things you need to know about permitting CCUSDownload
Meet the experts
Associate Director CHP & Heat Decarbonisation
If you need advice on carbon capture, utilisation and storage (CCUS) technologies, click below to reveal the enquiry form and get in touch with our expert team about your requirements.