Sustainable MaaS solutions
The Steel E-Motive vehicle design will optimise technologies deployable by 2030 and beyond and meet the requirements for inner city driving needs.
Featuring battery electric population, Level 5 autonomy and four-wheel steering for maximum functionality and manoeuvrability, vehicle specifications are geared to high volume manufacture with vehicle producers, fleet operators and ride hailing users in mind.
WorldAutoSteel has partnered with Ricardo to develop a virtual vehicle concept. Steel E-Motive follows a long history of steel industry collaboration and commitment to support the evolution of vehicle design and use.
The program is using Advanced High-Strength Steels (AHSS) in the vehicle body and structure to give the desired strength without compromising weight, affordability, or sustainability.
This will demonstrate the benefits of steel for global Mobility as a Service (MaaS) based fully connected and autonomous electric vehicles.
As with any kind of vehicle on our roads, autonomous vehicles must meet global crash safety standards. They must also meet consumer and stakeholder expectations for a cost-effective, sustainable, and comfortable journey.
These vehicles must be designed from materials which are strong enough to protect passengers in the event of a crash. However, they must also be lightweight to ensure efficient performance.
Ricardo is using the following approach to support this project:
- Using Advanced High-Strength steel for the design of the vehicle delivers aesthetic, safety, comfort, and accessibility benefits.
- The steel is applied in a pattern that is part of the external visual design, and features glazing on all sides, including the roof, to offer great views of the cityscape.
- The steel will enable the engineering team to meet MaaS operational safety and environmental requirements.
- Featuring battery electric population, Level 5 autonomy and four-wheel steering for maximum functionality and manoeuvrability, vehicle specifications are geared to high volume manufacture with vehicle producers, fleet operators and ride hailing users in mind.
This is a multi-year project – Ricardo and WorldAutoSteel will communicate regularly, showcasing results and innovations as the programme progresses, including the final concept designs.
Ricardo continues to use class leading decarbonised and clean transport solutions supported by innovative technology to support Steel E-Motive to become a game changer for sustainable mobility.
- The client gains access to Ricardo’s expertise in concept design, innovation, and knowledge of vehicle electrification and integration.
- This project will help Ricardo build on its existing reputation for delivering sustainable transportation solutions.