Advanced hybrid-electric propulsion for aerospace
Ricardo has signed a multi-year deal with Pratt & Whitney Canada, a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft and helicopter engines and auxiliary power units.
The multi-year deal will see the Ricardo aerospace engineering team support Pratt & Whitney Canada in the development of advanced hybrid-electric propulsion technologies for next generation aircraft.
Pratt & Whitney Canada is targeting a 30% improvement in fuel efficiency and commensurate reduction in carbon dioxide emissions, compared to today’s most advanced turboprop engines for regional aircraft.
Ricardo has been challenged to support the Pratt & Whitney Canada team with the development of advanced hybrid-electric propulsion technologies for the next generation of aircraft.
Hybrid-electric propulsion technology is a core element of Pratt & Whitney’s strategy for continually advancing the efficiency of aircraft propulsion systems, in support of the industry-wide goal of achieving net zero carbon dioxide emissions for aviation by 2050.
Ricardo is using the following approach to support Pratt & Whitney Canada on this project:
- Utilisations of Ricardo’s expertise in the aerospace industry to support Pratt & Whitney Canada’s in-house engineering team.
- A focus on the development of advanced hybrid-electric propulsion technologies.
- Providing bespoke advice and support, in additional to technical expertise.
- This is a new opportunity to bring zero-emission technology to the aerospace industry alongside a global market leader in the sector.
- It represents a significant milestone for Ricardo, as it expands its capabilities and footprint in North America and explores new opportunities supporting the decarbonisation of the global aerospace sector.
- The client gains access to Ricardo expertise in the development of advanced hybrid-electric propulsion technologies.
- This project will help Ricardo build on its existing reputation for the innovative design and delivery of future-forward solutions for aerospace customers, creating clean, efficient, and integrated propulsion systems for next generation aircraft and building on our vision of creating a safe and sustainable world.
- Over the course of the project, Ricardo will support Pratt & Whitney Canada with the delivery of new hybrid-electric population technologies, helping increase visibility of our own expertise, and enabling the transfer of knowledge.
- The project also supports the creation of a new centre of excellence for the aerospace industry for Ricardo, based in Quebec.
Related case studiesView all case studies
Supporting the decarbonisation of the heat, power and transport for the public sectorRead case study
Disruptive oil cooling for drives & emachinesRead case study
Interactive display of air quality information on behalf of Kent and Medway PartnershipRead case study
Got a question about this case study? Contact us
Click below to reveal the enquiry form and get in touch with our expert team about this case study.