Ecology and hydroecology
Using expert knowledge, we provide cost-effective bespoke advice, post-consent services and strategic ecological guidance.
Comprehensive ecological support
Preliminary ecological appraisal
- Extended phase 1 habitat surveys
- Bat roost potential assessments of trees and buildings
- Habitat Suitability Index assessments for great crested newts
Detailed plant surveys
Our ecology team is regularly involved with projects that have the potential to support species-rich plant communities, including:
- Hedgerow surveys in accordance with the Hedgerow Regulations 1997
- National Vegetation Classification surveys and analysis of data using proprietary software
Detailed surveys of protected species
Our ecologists are highly-regarded specialists in their field who hold a wide range of protected species survey licences, including:
- Great crested newt
- Water vole
Ecological Impact Assessment and Habitat Regulations Assessment
Our support is fully informed by recent best-practice guidance (notably CIEEM guidance) and we have experts who are preparing ecological impact assessments (EcIA) for formal and informal environmental impact assessments (EIA) and strategic environmental assessments (SEA).
Aquatic ecology and fisheries monitoring
- Ecological walkovers to support initial assessment of risk
- Fish habitat surveys
- Freshwater and estuarine fish surveys
- Marine environmental baseline surveys
- Continuous and spot water-quality sampling
- Ecological impact assessments (EcIA), habitats regulations assessments (HRA) and Water Framework Directive (WFD) assessments
Pollution incident response
Specialists in providing support for pollution incidents through scientifically robust methodologies designed to stand up to scrutiny. Our experts have an extensive track record in providing pollution prevention and incident advice through Ricardo's chemical risk expertise and post-incident mitigation.
Fish passage appraisal
With leading experts in river restoration and fisheries, we are able to identify and evaluate barriers to fish migration on a catchment-wide scale. Our staff are experienced in undertaking river walkovers, feasibility studies, fluvial and geomorphological assessments and audits, habitat enhancement, ecological assessments and hydromorphological studies.
This service is offered within the following sectors.
Ecology and hydroecology Resources
Our experts are passionate about support your water quality and management projects, use the link below to contact us for more information about how we can support you.